No driver, no problem: How third-party delivery boosted sales for two Drizly stores
August 8, 2019
6 MINUTE READ
We know that the actual delivery part of fulfilling a Drizly order can be one of the biggest challenges retailers like you face. For some stores, it means hiring a delivery driver, for others, losing a staffer when they might be needed most.
The good news is: you have options. Utilizing a third-party delivery service can increase your overall sales while cutting down your overhead, as it did for two Drizly stores that had gone offline due to the inability to hire a full-time delivery driver.
- Couldn’t fulfill orders with current staff and switched from on-demand delivery to in-store pickup only
- Went offline a month later because they were not getting enough order volume for in-store pickup, and it cost too much money to pay a full-time driver
- Tested third-party delivery with Postmates four months after going offline
Thanks to Postmates, Store 1 was able to receive on-demand delivery orders without needing a dedicated staff member or taking an employee out of the store for an extended period of time. It saw a clear increase in sales from when they came back online, including a 14x increase in December sales year over year and a 10x increase in number of orders.
- Was doing very little volume, with a small walking-only delivery zone due to the fact that they could not dedicate an individual driver
- When they were busy in-store and received a Drizly order, they would send a $12 car service to deliver the order and then turn off for the rest of the evening.
- Tested third-party delivery with Postmates one month after going offline
Through Postmates, Store 2 was able to cut its delivery fees in half and expand both its delivery zone and delivery hours, resulting in a 3x increase in sales in just the first three months.
If you’re worried about the costs associated with hiring a delivery driver (or losing one of your employees during peak hours, don’t be. Third-party delivery services will allow your business to reach new customers, expand your delivery zones and boost your sales, all while cutting down delivery costs.
In the time since the study was conducted, both stores have transitioned all three of their locations to utilize Postmates. Third-party delivery has helped keep them online and expand their operations, making it a great solution for any stores that may be looking to increase volume and hours but don’t have the flexibility to hire a dedicated staff member.
[pardot-form id=”639″ title=”joindrizly.com HP Form” height=”850px”]